Friday, June 3, 2011

Identity Marker

Identity can be so many things in my opinion. How do others perceive us? I think they first see what gender and what our cultures are. I also believe that unfortunately they make assumptions based off our looks; what we wear, how we act and whether we are extroverted or introverted. Identity is who we are, not what people assume we are.
The first thing I notice about people is how they interact with others, if they are male or female and how they dress. I don’t mean to make an identity marker off that but it tends to be my initial thoughts as I first meet someone. I think Identity is marked in a lot of ways but we become who we are by the way we are brought up and by how we were raised. I think people first notice about me my personality, I’m a very optimistic person, along with how I look. I’m extremely humble and have worked really hard to be where I am and become who I am. I have been pinned as being high maintenance or being un approachable when in reality that’s not who I am at all. Identity is important to us all because it defines us. We work hard to be who we are. 
In the stories we have read, these women worked hard by showing courage and describing the hardships just to fit in. In Queen Latifah’s story “Who you callin’ a Bitch?” she made a statement about how someone called her a tomboy and she ran home crying. Her mom then tells her “to go back out and say she is not a tomboy but athletic.” People make assumptions a lot of times off what they think our identity is, sadly a lot of times it’s incorrect. We aren’t always in control of how people perceive us but by being self-aware we have the ability to change the perception others have of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment